I can’t think of a better dish during self-isolation (Covid-19). With all that extra wine sitting around, and not wanting to drink all day, I came up with a plan for dinner: drunken pasta. Now, despite using 2 cups of wine, don’t be alarmed. You won’t get drunk off this dish. It is, however, decadent, simple to make, and just right for something a little different. Artichoke Hart used it for a lunch when the Italian delegation came to the complex. (New York Fried, Sunao Publishing).
1 lb spaghetti or another thin pasta noodle
4 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3-4 anchovy fillets, chopped
3 dried chili peppers, crushed (optional)
2 cups red wine
small bunch of Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
- Cook pasta as usual but to pre- al-dente (about 8 minutes)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add garlic, anchovy, and chili peppers, and cook for about 2-3 minutes
- Add the spaghetti to the pan and toss well
- Pour in the red wine and cook until it has reduced and the spaghetti has finished cooking.
- Add freshly chopped parsley and grated cheese to pasta, and toss well.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, with more grated cheese sprinkled atop.