It’s an Italian-American lemon chicken classic with a twist. And even though it’s high in calories, offset the meal by a side of lettuce and vinegar dressing. The potatoes add about 100 so if you had a low lunch, you’ll be okay with the meal as pictures. The twist is that the egg is on the outside! Instead of dredging in egg, then flour, it’s the other way around. I had such success with this that all my coated chicken meals will now be dredged this way.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless, cut in half)
1 large lemon, sliced (skin on) thinly
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp parsley (for garnish)
1 red lettuce leaf per person
1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp honey
2 green onions, diced
dash of salt
3 white potatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- Prepare the flour and eggs: In a shallow plate, add the flour, salt, and 1/2 the pepper. Whisk to combine. In another shallow plate, whisk the eggs
- Cut the chicken breasts in half then place each piece between 2 pieces of parchment paper and lightly pound it with a meat mallet until it’s about 1/4 inch in thickness. Dredge the cutlets in the flour mixture, cully coating both sides and shaking off any excess. Next, coat them in the egg mixture.
- Slice the potatoes thinly and layer in a skillet and cover them with chicken broth. Add thyme, salt & pepper. Boil while cooking chicken, then lower heat and simmer
- Fry the chicken: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chicken. Cook until lightly browned, about 3 min per side. Transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Make the sauce: Clean the skillet of any excess oil then add the lemon slices and cook until fragrant and slightly charred, about 30 seconds per side. Remove to plate. Deglaze with a tbsp of the wine. Add the butter to the skillet and melt it. Whisk in the flour and cook for 30 seconds to cook off the flour taste and pick up the pieces in the skillet. Whisk in wine, broth, lemon juice, and remaining salt and season with pepper. Simmer until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Finish the dish: Place one leaf on the plate and pour a little vinegar, the honey, and a few pieces of onion atop.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and cook until done. Place chicken on a leaf. Place portion of potato on the dish. Garnish with lemon slices (on the chicken) and parsley (over everything).
This and other recipes are suggested for men following the Dad’s Diet strategy (copyright 2021). They are also served at the Artichoke Hart restaurant (New York Fried, copyright 2016) and sometimes served by 5-star chef London Cartwright (Menu of Passion, copyright 2017).